Hi There! I'm Derek. I'll make this quick.
If you are a
Recruiter / Hiring Manager
See my Experience section and LinkedIn (linked above).
- If you're here from Skillshare, welcome!
- If you're here looking for my Skillshare course, use https://skl.sh/3VxfU4B to sign up for free. My course can be found here (published January 1, 2023)
- If you're not in 61A but found my site because you were Googling for premed course notes, the notes / practice questions I wrote for MCB 102, MCB 160, Chem 1A, and Chem 3A are below on this page.
- If you're in 61A, I no longer teach, but you can find some of my past YouTube walkthroughs on the 61A Departmental channel (sample link) and some past worksheets Sean and I wrote here: link
- See these interesting links: http://bit.ly/GG_Raccoons and bit.ly/chickenSoupCat .
- Craig Federighi autographed my phone! bit.ly/federighi
- Software Engineer building experimentation infrastructure.
- Infrastructure / Storage software engineer
- Built a cloud service to collect sensitive process dumps and ETW traces and provide secure, audited access. Worked primarily across the .NET / Azure tech stack
- Engineering intern on the eNLite natural language processing team
- Worked on a patened NLP system and increased tests from 1,000 to 80,000 while reducing overall evaluation time by > 10-fold by improving caching / load balancing logic. Worked primarily with Python, Protobuf, Jenkins, Groovy, and C++.
- Undergraduate and graduate student instructor for CS 61A, which was named one of the top 5 computer science courses in the nation
- Recipient of the 2020 EECS Distinguished GSI Award, which is given to the top instructor out of ~700 in the department each year
- Consistently maintained one of the highest ratings in the EECS department from students across 8 semesters of teaching ~2000 students a semester.
- Master's in Electrical Engineering and Computer Science
- Research focus in Artificial Intelligence / Machine Learning, specifically accelerated knowledge distillation
- Bachelor's in Computer Science
- Graduated top of my class with Highest Distinction / summa cum laude (3.963 GPA)
- Worked on accelerated machine learning. Advised by Joseph Gonzalez
- One of the core developers of the open-source ReVAS project
- Third author on IOVS conference publication "ReVAS: An open-source tool for eye motion extraction from retinal videos obtained with scanning laser ophthalmoscopy"
- Third author on pending journal manuscript "ReVAS: A modular eye motion extraction and analysis suite for scanning laser ophthalmoscopy"
- Seventh author on ACC 2021 conference publication "CathAI: Fully Automated Coronary Angiography Interpretation and Stenosis Detection Using a Deep Learning-based Algorithmic Pipeline"
- Fifth author on pending journal manuscript "CathAI: Fully Automated Coronary Angiography Interpretation and Stenosis Detection Using a Deep Learning-based Algorithmic Pipeline"
- Developed a low-cost diagnostic tool for Neisseria gonorrhoeae
- Second author on CBRS conference publication "Global diversity of the Chlamydia trachomatis tryptophan operon reveals evolutionary trends among ocular, urogenital and rectal strains"
- Acknowledged contributor on mBIO publication: "Clinical Persistence of Chlamydia trachomatis Sexually Transmitted Strains Involves Novel Mutations in the Functional αββα Tetramer of the Tryptophan Synthase Operon"
Placed among the top 500 students in the USA in the 2015 USABO competition
One of 33 winners selected from a pool of 10,000+ international essay submissions
- One of the fastest swimmers in the country for the 2009-2010 season. National age group rankings: 100 back (25th), 50 free (16th), 100 free (21st), 200 breast (25th)
- Represented the USA at the 2010 North American Challenge Cup
- Overall third-place finisher in the 2014 Navy SEAL Challenge
- 2015 American Short Course Championships finalist in the 100 backstroke
- 2x CIF champion in 2015 and 2016
I build 3D voxel art with MagicaVoxel.
Here is a hodgepodge of things I've worked on over the years.
Connect with me!
If you'd like to talk, don't hesitate to reach out to me on LinkedIn!