Hi There! I'm Derek. I'll make this quick.
If you are a
Recruiter / Hiring Manager
See my Experience section and LinkedIn (linked above).
- If you're not in 61A but found my site because you were Googling for premed course notes, the notes / practice questions I wrote for MCB 102, MCB 160, Chem 1A, and Chem 3A are below on this page.
- If you're in 61A, I no longer teach, but you can find some of my past YouTube walkthroughs on the 61A Departmental channel and some past worksheets Sean and I wrote here: link
- See these interesting links: http://bit.ly/GG_Raccoons and bit.ly/chickenSoupCat .
- Email me directly if you would like to buy an iPhone 6 Plus autographed by Craig Federighi: bit.ly/federighi
- Master's student in Electrical Engineering and Computer Science
- Research focus is in Artificial Intelligence / Machine Learning, specifically data-free learning / knowledge distillation
- Bachelor's in Computer Science
- Graduated top of my class with Highest Distinction / summa cum laude (3.963 GPA)
- Developing techniques to train neural networks without data. Advised by Joseph Gonzalez
- One of the core developers of the open-source ReVAS project
- Third author on IOVS conference publication "ReVAS: An open-source tool for eye motion extraction from retinal videos obtained with scanning laser ophthalmoscopy"
- Third author on pending journal manuscript "ReVAS: A modular eye motion extraction and analysis suite for scanning laser ophthalmoscopy"
- Seventh author on ACC 2021 conference publication "CathAI: Fully Automated Coronary Angiography Interpretation and Stenosis Detection Using a Deep Learning-based Algorithmic Pipeline"
- Fifth author on pending journal manuscript "CathAI: Fully Automated Coronary Angiography Interpretation and Stenosis Detection Using a Deep Learning-based Algorithmic Pipeline"
- Developed a low-cost diagnostic tool for Neisseria gonorrhoeae
- Second author on CBRS conference publication "Global diversity of the Chlamydia trachomatis tryptophan operon reveals evolutionary trends among ocular, urogenital and rectal strains"
- Acknowledged contributor on mBIO publication: "Clinical Persistence of Chlamydia trachomatis Sexually Transmitted Strains Involves Novel Mutations in the Functional αββα Tetramer of the Tryptophan Synthase Operon"
- Infrastructure / Storage software engineer
- Building a cloud service to provide secure, audited access to sensitive process dumps and ETW traces from production and test machines, to be used by ~1000 engineers. Working primarily across the .NET / Azure tech stack
- Engineering intern on the eNLite natural language processing team
- Worked on a patened NLP system and increased tests from 1,000 to 80,000 while reducing overall evaluation time by > 10-fold by improving caching / load balancing logic. Worked primarily with Python, Protobuf, Jenkins, Groovy, and C++.
- Undergraduate and graduate student instructor for CS 61A, which was named one of the top 5 computer science courses in the nation
- Recipient of the 2020 EECS Distinguished GSI Award, which is given to the top instructor out of ~700 in the department each year
- Consistently maintained one of the highest ratings in the EECS department from students across 8 semesters of teaching ~2000 students a semester.
Placed among the top 500 students in the USA in the 2015 USABO competition
One of 33 winners selected from a pool of 10,000+ international essay submissions
- One of the fastest swimmers in the country for the 2009-2010 season. National age group rankings: 100 back (25th), 50 free (16th), 100 free (21st), 200 breast (25th)
- Represented the USA at the 2010 North American Challenge Cup
- Overall third-place finisher in the 2014 Navy SEAL Challenge
- 2015 American Short Course Championships finalist in the 100 backstroke
- 2x CIF champion in 2015 and 2016
I build 3D voxel art with MagicaVoxel.
Here is a hodgepodge of things I've worked on over the years.
Connect with me!
If you'd like to talk, don't hesitate to reach out to me on LinkedIn!